This release is the first of three discs that C3R is slated to release by Gordon Monahan, and represents his first release in fourteen years. This CD is a re-release of two of Monahan’s best-known early works: ‘Piano Mechanics’ (which won first prize at the 1984 CBC Young Composers Competition), and ‘Speaker Swinging’ (his universally acclaimed, manually-operated sound installation). Both of these remastered pieces are awe-inspiring sound experimentations, possessing a visceral quality that is often lacking in more straight-forward tonal experiments. These are beautiful and moving pieces of new music.
This disc is a three-panel digipak. The next two scheduled C3R Monahan releases will also be packaged in digipak, with all design done by Denny Martin (and his wife).
1. Voices Emerging Along High Tension Wires 4:21
2. Abrupt Stops 4:15
3. Solitary Waves 1 1:08
4. Solitary Waves 2 9:22
5. Trill With Hand Controlled Pitch Release 2:26
6. Solitary Waves 3 1:15
7. Melody Concealed by a Tremolo High Trills Becoming Difference Tones 4:16
8. Fingers and Arms Becoming Four Hands 4:31
9. Speaker Swinging (Part 1) 8:42
10. Speaker Swinging (Part 2) 10:13
11. Speaker Swinging Remix 10:48